Sunday, October 18, 2009

Leaving Hull LINk

Hello Colleagues

Firstly just to say thanks to colleagues and friends at Hull LINk, Hull CVS, and those I've met from VCS groups, council and NHS for making my 'short' stay at LINk such a pleasant one.

This is my explanation of my sudden departure from Hull LINk on Friday 16th October 2009 (and a chance to re-visit this old blog of mine!).

On Wednesday 14th October 2009 I met with my line managers during which I suggested that I was de-motivated at certain aspects of the work and I was interested in looking at employment options elsewhere (self employment actually, as anyone who knows me is aware, I'm interested in the opportunities to engage communities via using new social media).

The Deputy Chief Officer stated that he admired me for my honesty but would need to consider very carefully what I had just said.

Two days later I met with my line manager and the DCO was also present. I was informed that since I'd expressed a lack of commitment to such an important job then under the terms of the probationary period I would be given a week's notice to quit the job. I would not be required to work the notice week and was asked to return keys and leave the building straight away.

Whilst I am obviously hurt by the suddeness of it all, I do understand the reasons behind this course of action. I begrudgingly accept that I did have a lack of long-term commitment to Hull LINk and the Hull CVS. However, what I find difficult to accept as a professional is that I was asked to leave immediately and my offer to work notice was refused. I feel that this was very short-sighted. There were so many loose ends I would have tied up and handover notes I would have completed. In the event I didn't even have time to tidy my desk up properly!

I have worked in the sector as a community activist or worker all my life and I care about the implications and public perception created by our actions. Therefore I offer these observations:

Yes... the larger third sector infrastructure bodies are in a very competitive environment and hard-nosed business skills need to complement our traditional cooperative and collaborative approaches. We need to manage our projects well and perform magnificently and display staying power! However, within that process it is important that we do not lose the compassion and care for people and communities that is the hallmark of our sector.

I think I have been treated according to contractual obligations and due process.... but have we not all lost some 'heart' during that process!?

The Hull LINk will grow and develop because good foundations have been built and there is a strong Steering Group. And I will continue to work to support the CVS from the sidelines. Why? Because the ethos and principles that founded that and similar organisations are far more important than any individual gripe.

It's goodbye for now, but hopefully 'hello again' from me very soon but wearing a different hat! But in the meanwhile.... where's that Job Seeker's Allowance application form.......!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray i am very sad and shocked at your departure from hull link. however i would like to wish you well in the future. i hope you realise your dream of becoming self employed and wish you luck.

Kind Regards
Helen Laws

Susan said...

Well Ray, as you know I am a bit of a dinosaur but your news has led me to 'blog' for the first time in my life!!!!

I was shocked and surprised by your news but you know when it's not right for you and I wish you well in the future in what ever you do. Our paths may cross again you never know!

Best Wishes
Susan Oliver

HU12 Net said...

Thanks Helen. Keep the Facebook Flag flying within LINk - help ensure that someone is tasked to develop and raise its profile (and Twitter too!)

Susan - From Jurassic Park to Future World in one simple step! Fantastic!

I hope to keep in touch I regularly promote East Riding LINk on The Hedon Blog http://hedonblog.wordpress.com/ and will continue to do so.

Thanks also to everybody who sent e-mails for your best wishes and kind words.

Will be in touch!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray,

I think it's there loss, and by the sounds of it you're making the right move.

I'm not sure if you remember me from those many years ago in UiC, but having read this entry and what you planned to do in the furture, I thought perhaps (and would very much like to) I could help out, get involved, etc.

Oh, my name is Saalo Saprkes - if that rings a bell? Perhaps we could meet up or exchange email addresses? You can contact me via my website www.flyingsparkes.co.uk

Be could to hear from you.

Take care.

Kindest regards

Saalo

Margaret Parrott said...

Hi Ray, echoing others comments I'm both saddended and shocked by your sudden departure. The working relationship was short but sweet and had so much potential. I really hope you find what you're looking for and our paths will cross in the future. In the meantime take care and keep smiling.
Best wishes
Margaret

HU12 Net said...

Hi Saalo

Yes fond memories and still got a soft-spot for UiC (Unity in Community)!

Delighted to talk about getting involved - looking at Fying Sparkes then your web development knowledge will be very useful.

You might be interested in getting involved with Hull Digital also?

Contact me at rayduff@gmx.com

HU12 Net said...

Thanks for the kind words Margaret

Part of the business planning I'm doing at the moment is around offering support to those communities that wish to develop online voices.

This is taken to mean geographical communities on a neighbourhood, village or town level. However, there are possibilities to develop community websites around issues or 'centres of community' that people feel strongly about or care for.

For example I like the idea of bringing together those Trust members and others who care about a particular hospital or service. Imagine "All about Castle Hill" which could be so much more than a local Patient Opinion.

Happy to talk about and develop these ideas further with you?